St. Patty's Day Treats
|Shamrock Sweet Rolls at Sweet Rolls that Rock|
|Chocolate and Mint Sandwich Cookies|
I had a lot of leftover minty frosting from Kailea's birthday cake earlier this month. So far, I made the above cookies, and I used it to pipe the decoration on the Shamrock Sweet Rolls. I still have a lot leftover.
These are good to make when you've just made angel food cake or meringue frosting and you have a lot of egg yolks leftover.
I used most of the batch to make homemade oreos – fill with any kind of frosting you like... or enjoy plain.
Egg-yolk Chocolate Cookies
½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
¾ cup granulated white sugar
¾ cup caster sugar (witte bastard sugar) or light brown sugar
6 egg yolks
2 ¼ cup flour
1/3 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the whisk/paddle attachment.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl. Add extract and blend. Add the egg yolk/extract mixture to the fluffy batter and continue to mix well.
- In a separate bowlm sift dry ingredients. Add to the fluffy batter and blend again on low setting until good and thick and fluffy.
- Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350-F degrees (175-C). Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a rounded teaspoon or melon scooper to form balls with the cookie dough – about the size of a walnut. Roll in granulated sugar and flatten slightly. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheet.